Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Crab hunting

Went down to Labrador during the low tide this morning, after a few weeks of procrastination. My aunt came along, and we spent most of our time around the area under the jetty. I think it's lucky having her along because I managed to spot quite a few crabs today, including a fleeting glimpse of an olive green knobby 3cm long pincer with white markings before a random wave chased its owner back into its hole. Could have been metapograpsus. We also saw a pair of rather large slender red claws waving out of a crab hole for a moment. Really wonder what that crab was doing. It's a pity we didn't see more of it because it would have been a pretty large crab.

Caught a couple of smaller crabs, after holding my breath and waiting around the rocks for ages. Saw 3 grey birds hunting around the rocks at the water's edge, and startled a large flower crab while trying to get a closer shot of them. It promptly scuttled into a hole. I'm going to have to hone my camera skills if I'm going to catch any credible shots of these things. However, I'm currently well satisfied with the excitement of merely being able to catch a glimpse, however fleeting, of these amazing creatures for myself.


Poised for the kill.



1 comment:

  1. Yes, sounds like Metopograpsus sp. and the other one a Thalamita sp.

    ReplyDelete